When Death Occurs
It is always a confusing time when death occurs. It is our objective to provide information that will help families through this difficult experience.
Selecting and calling the funeral home of your choice is the family's decision. If death occurs at a residence, the coroner will have to be notified. The funeral home of your choosing should be notified at the same time the coroner is called, thereby giving both parties involved adequate time to arrive at the place of death quickly without any delay. In the case where Hospice has been called to the home to take care of your loved one, Hospice officials should be given the name of the funeral home you wish to be called when death occurs.
Hospital or Nursing Home Deaths
If death occurs at a hospital, the hospital staff will normally ask the family to specify the funeral home to notify. If a loved one is a resident of a nursing home, it is a good practice to place a record in the resident's medical file indicating which funeral home to contact when death occurs.
Normally in these situations, police or emergency medical personnel should be notified by dialing 911. If the cause of death is not of a suspicious nature, the authorities can release the body to the funeral home that you specify. If there is some concern or question over the cause of death, the remains may need to be taken to the Medical Examiner's Office to determine the actual cause of death.
Listed below are a few helpful things that will assist you and your funeral director in making funeral arrangements:
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OF THE DECEASED
- MILITARY PAPERS IF ACTIVE SERVICE OR A VETERAN (DD214 form, Honorable Discharge Papers and etc.)
- INSURANCE POLICIES YOU MAY WANT TO USE FOR FUNERAL EXPENSES
- NAMES OF MOTHER AND FATHER OF THE DECEASED
- THE MAIDEN NAME OF THE MOTHER OF THE DECEASED
- DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH OF THE DECEASED
- PICTURE FOR THE SERVICE FOLDER AND PICTURES FOR A DVD TRIBUTE (usually around 25 to 30 pictures)
- LIST OF PALLBEARERS
- MINISTER'S NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION
- CEMETERY NAME AND PLACE OF SERVICE
- TYPE OF SERVICE (chapel, church, graveside, etc.)